Sunday, March 16, 2008

A City of Change

First I think it's worth mentioning that the movie "Anger Management" is on while I'm writing this. I found that somewhat ironic after today's shopping experience! ;-) Also the sun is about a 1/2 an hour from setting which means it'll soon be rising on the East Coast of the US.

I've written a flurry of posts here today because I've found that I can get a better connection on the weekends, so I'm writing while I can. However for some reason today I can read other posts, but I can't get the comments pages to open so that I can comment. Now back to the current post

One thing I've noticed is that this city is booming with new buildings going up everywhere. However it's not just about placing a new building on the block, it seems to be an architectural competition of sorts where each new building has to be even more challenging and eye-catching then the last.

As an example I give you the CCTV tower:











I don't think that my photos capture it well enough to truly see, but I did what I could from a moving car. This structure is made up of two supports that are leaning towards each other and are connected at the top.












I was told that they waited until the coldest day of the year this past winter to make the actual connection betwen the two supports so that there wouldn't be any expansion of the steel during the process.









It's an exciting time to be here, with many changes happening! Not just because of the coming Olympics, but this is a fast growing city that is also facing the challenge of holding onto it's past.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thunder the good book says you are to rest on the 7th day not shop till you drop. back in cinn. and all is well!!$%&^$#^. there is a place in heven for you. LOL. your grandson is a jule. i did so enjoyed myself.

Thunder said...

STEB - I was wondering how long it would tke to hear back from you after your trip! Thanks so much for helping Lightnin out!