Monday, August 20, 2007

Road Trip - Days 9 and 10 (The long road home)

Day 9
Once again we awake to the sounds of crowing, yes the rooster is still alive and kicking.

We had a little time to kill before meeting with the realtor to sign the papers on our new property, so we spent that at the coffee shop blogging and looking at Cyprus home design. Once the paperwork is completed we are able to hit the road (The "we" I'm referring to now is of course Lightnin and I as I have traded my "Ballast Buddy" for my lifelong copilot for the trip home). We need to make it to Atlanta this evening for a stop over at Lightnin's Sister's house. She and her Husband (a fellow Dave!) are more than just family to us. We've been friends for years and always try to stop to see each other whenever possible.
The drive was uneventful (thankfully) because we were traveling on I-75 North. When we arrived they had prepped a fantastic meal of grilled roasted Lamb and Garlic Mashed Potatoes. The appetizer was Fried Green Tomatoes, with Goat cheese and a Remoulade sauce. They also had a nice selection of wines that went great with the meal. After dinner we talked, laughed, and basically caught up on everything that had happened since we last got together. It had been a long day, and this ended up being a fun long night
Day 10
We awake early once again, having been properly trained by roosters during the past week. ;-)
It's a hot humid day again, so not too bad for traveling (with the top up and the air on of course). We hop back on I-75 for the long trek back home, but as my copilot/navigator takes a short nap I plot a new course, we're going to cut across to US-127 when we get to Chattanooga, TN.
Once awake, and briefed with my idea, the copilot is ready with the camera to show the advantages of the roads less traveled.
This is what lies between us and home, it looks sort of like the start of the road trip to me (I'm hoping Lightnin can handle the turns that I'm pretty sure we're gonna' see).
She held up like a trooper and snapped these photos (look familiar FC?). It was sort of llike a mini-dragon.
OK there's always been the divide between roasted or boiled peanut fans, but this one was news to me! I had to try them, and they are amazingly good! (sorry for the blurry photo, it was taken after we got home from the long day of driving). Just another example of something you wouldn't necessarily find traveling the interstates!
After having put 2,708 miles under my butt, in only ten days, it felt good to be home again. It has been a fun and monumental trip. I was able to shed the feelings of "wanderlust" once again and it's back to work tomorrow. Although I wonder where the next road trip will take me (rumor has it that it might involve a Jeep), but for now I at least know where I'm going to end up, on a little 3 acre slice of heaven!

2 comments:

R.Powers said...

That looks like a fun road home. Fried peanuts?

Thunder said...

FC - It was! I know man, that's why I had to get 'em. They were really good, shell n all!