Friday, August 17, 2007

Road Trip - Days 7 and 8 (Cedar Key, and more)

Aha, I woke up before Vader (the Rooster) and had thoughts of sneaking our to crow at him first, but then had this horrible thought that it would scare him to death and then how would I explain that one to FC. So I just laid there for a couple of minutes relishing in my victory of being up before he woke me. Hey wait a minute, that's not actually a victory after all!

No property to look at today so after I blogged yesterday's post it was off to Cedar Key! I could smell the salt mash before I could see it. Finally the site I've been waiting for, Cedar Key.











I took the advice of my friends and stoped at Tony's to grab a bite for lunch. I opted for the fried oyster sandwich and Red Stripe. That's a full dozen oysters piled on that baby, and it was quite possibly the best fried oyster sandwich I've ever eaten even though I did break the rules about eating shell fish in a month without an "R" in it. Although if you pronounce it like a pirate it works out Aurrrrgust! ;-)







Then it was back to the PF HQ to get the wings going for dinner.








Here's the wings after draining off the secret marinade
















Where there's smoke, there's wings!










And the finished product, Mmmm tasty.






Oh I almost forgot to mention, as of about 8:30PM last evening I became a full fledged Florida property owner! Yep, I found our little slice of heaven, just take a look.






Well I must say good bye to my dear friends because it's back on the road again for the long trek back north, so I'll finish the stories of the trip once I get back home.
Last leg of the road trip to come.............

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to hear all about your new property. Details, man, give me details!

Deb said...

FC told me to come over here, so congrats on finding your piece of heaven in Florida! Does it have good spring water for beer brewing?

threecollie said...

Congratulations on finding what you were seeking...looks exciting! (Sent by FC as well)

robin andrea said...

Congratulations! That looks like a fine piece of Florida property to call home someday.

R.Powers said...

I hope your ride home was fun and safe.
You don't have to worry about that R oyster rule down here, that's a nawthern thang ... and you now own property in Dixie.

That sandwich does look spectacular even though I would go for Tony's grouper over oysters!

Congratulations dude.

Sharon said...

Congratulations on the acquisition! And oysters...mmm...might have to change dinner plans from Outback to Clark's fish camp for tonight!

Anonymous said...

You are one of the few people that I would like to extend a hearty welcome to Florida!!!!

Congrats on the land purchase. And in the future, if by chance you need a place to rent just west of Gainesville while you wait for a future house to be built, just let us know!

Those wings look absolutely delicious.

Stacey063 said...

As a Gator grad, you're already a Floridian - don't forget it - and welcome to the state....and gee that red stripe looks good and reminded me of quite a weekend there at Cedar Key.....
FC told us all to come and say hi!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Dave! I've been following the roadtrip via FC and I know he's pretty pleased about having you closer. Cedar Key looks/sounds lovely. Next thing, he'll hitch you up with his friend who builds cypress log homes...

After a whole life in the midwest, we bought a little bunglaow in Florida "just as an investment" and in short order we find ourselves down there as much as possible and wanting more. The biggest draw for us is tied to the natural beauty that can still be found in parts of the State- and it looks as though you've latched on to a piece of it. Good deal.

Thunder said...

All,

Thanks for dropping by!

I just walked in the door from a long day of driving and am pretty worn out. I promise to respond to each of you tomorrow, and will complete the final entry of the Road Trip Journal!

Cathy said...

Congratulations. It must feel so good to own a little bit of steamy heaven.

Thunder said...

Pablo - It's great, lots of oaks and palmettos. I'm going to post more about it later today, with more photos too!

Deb - FC said you were a fellow homebrewer. We'll have well water down there so we'll have to treat it. The water in this part of Ohio gets up to 30 grains/Gal hardness so we've got a softener and an R/O system to get the quality up to brewing standards. We'll have to trade recipe's sometime.

Threecollie - It's more exciting than I ever imagined, but now the work starts!

Robin A.- Thanks, it's absolutely perfect for us.

FC - The ride home was pretty fun, I'm going to post about it later today. I can also answer the question on your post the other day: The white sands of PCB set the hook, but it's the continued friendship of you and Mrs. FC that reeled me in! Thanks for everything!

Sharon - I'm glad I could help with suggestions for dinner.

Laura - Thanks for the warm welcome, you never know we may take you up on the offer one day!

Stacey - Thanks! Cedar Key is always beautiful, and is always an experience.

Vicki - Thanks, I hope the Road Trip Journal has been entertaining! I left Kansas long ago, but I'm finally getting to where I was headed! I pretty much see us spending most of our vacation time getting the place ready for a house, and then the big move! (oh, FC's already strated that process). ;-)

Cathy - Thanks! It's steamy, but woderful!

Anonymous said...

congrats and welcome back to the sunshine state!

Thunder said...

Lori, Thanks! We just can't wait to get down there for good.