Friday, April 11, 2008

Just Random Thoughts From the Other Side of the Earth

It seems that Spring over here is just as unpredictable as it is in the US. They've been calling for rain everyday this past week and it has been hit and miss.

Side note to Lightnin - It's as if Derrick is doing the forecasting over here too! ;-)

Some days I get up in the morning and it looks like it will let loose at any time, but then by noon it's completely clear and sunny. Last night it started to rain and it looked like it was going to rain all night and then all day today, but I woke up to clear sunny skies again.

Hey I'm not complaining, merely observing!

Our company has made a good move forward in the quest to balance work and home, and so I'm currently scheduled to work from home every Friday! This actually does do a lot of good. It saves cab fare for 1 day a week, let's me get to work at my most productive time, which is when I first get up, and it helps cut down on traffic and emissions from the trip to and from work! Especially if you multiply this by the, hopefully, hundreds of other employees that are taking advantage of this program!

For me personally it helps me to get my workload accomplished more efficiently, and I don't spend 2 hours on the road each way, with my knees up to my chest crammed into the back seat of a taxi. ;-) I also feel good about doing the little bit that I can do to help out the environment.

On my lunch break today (yes, I really do limit myself to the same breaks that I would normally take if I were actually in the office!) I went to the ATM to get some cash for the next couple of weeks and on my way back through the lobby of my apartment complex I picked up my copy of China daily. Perfect, the top headline shows that the Dollar just took a hit against the Yuan (my current currency). Well they say timing is everything and it looks like my timing was off by about a day.

I'm done for the day and so I decided to share my random thinking before I shut down the computer. I've been invited to join some folks to see a live band tonight, but I'm really tossing around the idea of just spending some quite time by myself. I already have plans for tomorrow night, so I think I' going to bow out of this one.

I had a good suggestion by my partner at work, to do a review of the beers that are available locally here. I liked the idea so much that the two of us are going to walk to one of the micro breweries near us and sample their products. Who knows maybe I can visit all of them in the next week or so and get a review put together. As long as I can walk to get there I may be able to stay in shape at the same time!

Well, that's about all the random thoughts I've got going on at the moment. Yea I know I've still got some photos of the park to upload. Who knows maybe I can get that done this evening.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thunder-
You said you were going to see a live band. Do they have dead bands over there too? LOL! This time next week I'll be getting ready to come see you and I can't wait.
Love you,
Lightnin

Anonymous said...

Like I always say round is a shape.sampleing is better than gusseling.sounds like a plain to me S T E B

Anonymous said...

Lil B,
Sounds like you have it lined up right for this weekend. With age, we tend to look ahead more then just today. Have fun tomorrow with the critiquing.
Later on,
Bro J

Thunder said...

Lightnin - From my side 1 week from today you arrive!

STEB - Lots of choices so little time!

Brother J - I'm always looking about 5 years out! ;-)

Anonymous said...

hey dad we had weather like there where i am too yesterday. i was driving back towards camp and i saw it was only raining over my camp and one of my friends said it "ok this truly means we live in hell" LOL bc everywhere else but over our camp it was blue skies and sunny. well i cant wait to get out of here not that much further to go.

love,
spc.dude

Anonymous said...

Well the weather here isn't so great either. Below normal temps windy as all get out rainy. But in no time we will be complaining about the above normal temps and the dry and no breeze no rain. From one extreme to another. That is the midwest, but of all the places we have been and that is quite a few, I would rather live here. jaf

Anonymous said...

setting here with S T E B having some 4 roses enjoying your blogs smokin

R.Powers said...

Dang! That is some anniversary gift. I'm catching up and ... dang.
Did you guys strike oil on that Florida property?

Good luck on your beer quest!

Thunder said...

SPC Dude - Lightnin said you didn't have long. You'll have to try to get over here after that!
Hey, and bring me a new pair of Bugatti's! ;-)

JaF - Yep! Like I said I sort of enjoy that 7 letter F word, but other than that it's not too bad here!

Sitting with STEB - You forgot to say who you were!

FC - No oil, Lightnin's sopmething else though isn't she!

Thunder said...

Smokin - Sorry about the misunderstanding, Lightnin explained it to me! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

So, I wanted to thank you for my birthday beer you had Lightnin get me!! She came up to me and said this beer is from China! I just got a smile on my face! Wish you were here to celebrate with all of us! Lightnin and S T E B along with cursor and salami showed up to! So it was a nice birthday!
I just got your blog today so I am writing a few weeks late from my birthday! Hope all is well with you! Ill talk to you soon!!

love always,
Cricket