Thursday, April 10, 2008

Inspirational or Philosophical Quotes

I still haven't uploaded the Cherry Blossom photos from my trip to the park last weekend, so I thought I'd switch gears this time and share some of my favorite quotes with you. The first three are my very favorite and are on my screen saver because they have special meaning to me, the others I've picked up along the way. I hope you enjoy:

What is now proved was once only imagined - William Blake

Real integrity stays in place, whether the challenge is adversity or prosperity - Charles Swindoll

The more you try to be interested in other people, the more you learn about yourself - Thea Astley


Some others:

The distance doesn't matter; it is only the first step that is difficult - Marquise du Deffand

When we cannot find commitment in ourselves it is useless to seek it elsewhere - La Rochefoucauld

What would Life be if we had no courage to attempt anything - Vincent van Gogh

Character is the architecture of the being - Louise Nevelson

To be humble to superiors is a duty, to equals courtesy, to inferiors nobleness - Benjamin Franklin

I think that's probably enough to think about for awhile. Please feel free to share some of your favorites.

Oh and please remember my readers are a somewhat family crowd, so no limericks from you Lightnin! ;-)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about the one from Tommy Thompson?
Love,
Lightnin

Anonymous said...

All of these qoutes are worth remembering, but more importantly "practiced." Had my 1st interview yesterday, think I did pretty well, hear something next week I hope. Your suggestion to FC was too good!
Talk at ya later,
Bro J

Anonymous said...

PS,
Here is one more you and add,"Only those that take the risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot
Bro J

Anonymous said...

Fürchtet doch nicht so den Tod und mehr das unzulängliche Leben!
Don't be afraid of death so much as an inadequate life.
Bertolt Brecht
jaf

Anonymous said...

This is the most famous I know...and i think Mr Man loves it too:

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

RBP

Anonymous said...

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, sew a seam, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert A Heinlein

My most favorite quote, Kay

Anonymous said...

Was Heinlein a Registered Nurse? I think that was in my job description when I worked in the hospital. jaf

Anonymous said...

okay here it is:
"If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room."
Tommy Thompson, Former Secretary of Health and Human Services

Thunder said...

Lightnin - I'm glad you remembered it! That's one of my favorites and was on my screen saver for awhile too.

Brother J - I'll keep my fingers crossed. I try to live by them every day. I like TSE.

JaF - You nicked Tod with the dock?!
Just kidding, I think it's safe to say I don't have to worry about that one! ;-)

RBP - How true that is! Good choice!

Kay - I agree with JaF, although I think I had that job once too!

Rodney Surber said...

He who stands on toilet is high on pot...Ratman