Sunday, May 04, 2008

Beijing Boomerang and the Magic of the Mango!

Well I thought I was putting my love on a plane yesterday. I took her to the airport and saw her go through security. I was sitting talking to friends over beers and dealing with things, when the surprise phone call comes. I hear a familiar voice on the other end say: "Where are you?"(this can't be because it's about 9pm so she should be over the ocean by now). My response: "Where are you?" (obvious confusion in my voice). From the other end I hear: "At the Kempenski, come get me!".

At this point I'm trying to figure out who's playing this cruel joke on me, but the voice in my head told me that the demanding tone that was used for the phrase: "COME GET ME!" could have only come from one person. I set my beer down and tell my friends I have to go, but I'll be right back! I hop in a taxi and almost instinctively say: "Qing Dai Wo Qu Kempenski!" (Please take me to the Kempenski). The driver nods and says: "OK". About 10 minutes later I'm walking into the hotel and see Lightnin waving to me from over at the bar (of course, hey two peas in a pod!). I go over and give her a hug, she introduces me to her new, fellow stranded, friend. It seems their flight had been cancelled due to mechanical issues.

We invite her friend to join us back at the "Goose and Duck" (a sports bar that I've become familiar with and where I have friends waiting to see what the sudden issue was). She declines at this time, but accepts the idea of trying to get up early to try to watch the Kentucky Derby the next morning (You get used to the 12 hr time difference here; we watch US Saturday evening sports on Sunday morning here, but that's another post!). We hop in a taxi and head back to the G&D where we're welcomed by confused looks on faces, you see they've already met Lightnin and where helping me get over my mild depression of her leaving, so they were caught as off guard as I was!

After Lightnin tells her story of hours spent sitting on the runway One of my new friends tells her: "OK, but you understand that if the flight tomorrow gets delayed you were meant to stay!" (this of course is exactly what is going through my head at the same time). So it seems we had one last night together given to us!



Well that was last night, but today is today! I was mentally prepared to say goodbye yesterday, but today is different. I don't know if the infinite master of the universe decided that yesterday's departure was simply too easy for us or what, but today was definitely different. Having the extra time together was great, don't get me wrong, but I was prepared for her to leave yesterday not today. So mode it be!



We spent one more night and morning with each other and I sent her off again, this time seeing her board the shuttle bus from the hotel. After I see them depart I walk back home to make the best of the afternoon. Oh did I mention that the Kempenski is about a block away from my apartment? Oh, I forgot, well I guess I just made up for that! ;-) Yes, as luck would have it they placed her in a hotel right down the street from me! So it was a very convenient inconvenience for her! ;-)



Oh, "The Magic of the Mango", don't worry I haven't forgotten! As I walk away from the hotel, where I left Lightnin on the bus, I know that they will come right by me on their way to the airport, so I give her one last wave goodbye as they pass by. I head up to my apartment to spend the rest of the afternoon sitting in the sun on my balcony and sipping a wonderful concoction known as the Mango Margarita!



You have to understand that the mango's that we get here are the yellow Malaysian variety, not the green ones you get in the states. These things are tiny, but are sweet as candy! I've become a fanatic for them and get a few each time I go to the fruit and vegetable market. So today I decided to put them to a good use. I added the proper ingredients (I'll disclose if you want the recipe) into the blender, poured myself a glass, and headed to the balcony to sit in the sun!





Check this tasty treat out!

OK so it's a wine glass and not a margarita glass, hey man this is Beijing you have to make certain sacrifices! ;-)



I've got Buffet playing in the background, sipping one of nature's wonders, and I think I'll be alright now! Bon Voyage Lightin, see you in Bruxelles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well now that the world(well atleast everyone that gets on here)knows that im the worlds worse son(thanks to my wonderful girlfriend,ill get you back once im there wont be too much longer) i knew when fathersday was atleast for the german one and well thats where i live now so i figured why not, now anyway i talked to mom lastnight and talked to her and she had told me all about the little delay lol but its good that you got to see her again dad. well i have 2 more days of my lil vacation here and i cant wait bc its turned from a 4day thing into a week and then some lol:D well i love you guys and i cant wait to see you, oh by the way dad i need to talk to you about the car bc i remember you saying something while i was home on R&R well i love you guys and will talk to you later


love always,
SPC.Dude

Thunder said...

SPC Dude - I forgot that the German Father's Day was in May also, but thanks for the good wishes! You're also not too late for Mother's day either! ;-)
Glad your have a good time off too.

Oh we'll talk about the car! ;-)