Sunday, June 29, 2008

Turning 50 in "The Jing"




Well, here it is 50 trips around the sun! My body is telling me that I can't do the things I used to do, but my mind says "Aw come one, give it a try!" which certainly explains my knee injury! ;-)







There was a big celebration last weekend between three of us friends who all had June birthdays. We celebrated on the rooftop of a place named "Obiwan" (yep after the character in "Star Wars"), it's located in a place called HouHai about 30min from my apartment. We had the place to ourselves, well and about 25 of our friends, for about 4 hours and it was a good time.



Here's a photo of the three of us.
That's Scott to my right and Aaron to my left.









This is a shot of me, my friend Phil, and my Deutsche friends Kathrin and Peter.

I quietly celebrated my real b-day last night, over dinner, with Kathin and peter at a nice German restaurant named "Schindler's Anlegestelle" (Their Sauerbraten and red cabbage is awesome!)











Not missing an opportunity to make connections, this is yours truly and Josie (one of the managers of the place)











It truly was a grand night with good people, conversation, music, and drink. I can't think of a better way to celebrate a 1/2 a century here on earth, other than the fact the Lightnin wasn't there! (To qoute "3rd Eye Blind": "I've never been so alone, and I've never been so alive!")

My actual birthday is today. I celebrated in a rather lay-back fashion by cooking myself some spaghetti with a basic meat sauce. (sorry no photos yet 'cause it's still cooking).
It's a bit of a bummer because it's cloudy, foggy, humid, and cool yet again today! This is a bit unusual for this part of the world, it should normally be hot, dry, and sunny right now. I mean come on, I was hoping to catch a few rays out on my balcony today. Oh well you can't have everything, and besides I've got some good music on and the place has the smell of oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, tomatoes, onions, and garlic (hungry yet?).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, you should get a mental anguish bonus for being that close and stuck in meetings. Glad you had a good time with your friends there for your B-Day. To bad about the Maylay trip. Happy B-Day little Bro.
Bro J

Anonymous said...

Happy 50th, you ol' Pirate! Can you believe we've made it this far? How 'bout some birthday Cold Duck champagne for old times sake with that spaghetti? That seems like more than a half century ago. Seems you've taken this "Far Side of the World" a little to literal, Wiseman. All my Best. Prost! Health and Happiness to you. Love ya, Knucklehead. Now, I'll try to figure this Blog thing out...
Merlyn

Anonymous said...

Hey Merlyn, good to see your comment. Thunder's Mom/Dad

Anonymous said...

Oh hey, did my e-mail go through? Playing around with some different stuff I can do with them.
Who's this Merlyn character? Didn't know you where still kickin. How you been and where do you hang your hat these days?
Bro J

Jacki said...

Happy Birthday!!!

R.Powers said...

Happy Birthday Globe Trotter!
Sounds like you had a nice celebration even if you were Somewhere Over China.
Many more Dave!!

Thunder said...

Bro J - Thanks! No e-mail.

Merlyn - You old dog (well ok a bit younger than me), glad to hear from you! If you do start up a blog please let me know, and don't be a stranger stop back by as often as you can!

Jacki - Thanks!

FC - Thanks buddy! I'm feeling every one of those years right now! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sooo, how does 50 feel today? Still growing older but not up, I'm sure. Man, I'm just trying to figure out your blog, nowhere near my own! I've been neglectful on Meryl's blog too, so your 50th has kicked me to start stopping by.

Hi to Mom/Dad and Bro J. Surprisingly, they haven't kicked me out of CA, although if the fires continue I might move to the clean air of the Jing.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Merlman, just what is your blog so I can check it out? Glad to here from you, been a while.
Bro J

Anonymous said...

First of all, I DONT THINK 50 IS AN AGE AT ALL.....a man is considered an adult in the age of everything past 90 i think...lol!
I am glad you had friends to celebrate with.
SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM HOT HOT GERMANY!!!!!

RBP