Sunday, March 04, 2007

Brussels Here I Come Once Again (Still under Construction; I'm Experiencing Blogger Issues)

Well with my weekend in Frankfurt concluded I now had a little work to be done! Hmm, those words sound familiar, oh well it’s off to Brussels I go!

As my son drops me at the baggage check in we see that I’m going to need to rush, that is run to get to my gate. I make it, but just barely. Luckily all of my intercontinental flights are business class, and I’m in the 4th row on this plane. As I’m falling into my seat the Lufthansa attendant asks if I would like a paper to read. As I wipe the sweat from my brow with my shirt sleeve I kindly reply with a smile: “Nay, aber ein bier bitte” (no, but a beer please!). She politely smiles and brings me a Warsteiner pils. I notice that they are closing the door, I’m the very last to board.

My hotel was conveniently located a mere 3-4 blocks from the Grande Platz, and by spotting the tower of records I knew which direction to go. As I enter the square I know where I’m at, and where I’m headed, by my favorite landmark. You got it, Leroy’s! It’s actually named LeRoy de Espania (The King of Spain). I’ve written about it before as it’s always my first stop when visiting this truly multi-national city.

As is normal for this time of year it was raining, so I was forced to go inside to drink. I usually like to sit in their courtyard, but then I’m usually arriving early in the morning because I’m coming directly from the states. This time, of course, it was an intercontinental flight and I arrived in the late afternoon/early evening.

Well as I sit and sip my Kreik (Cherry Lambic), and dine on tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, I see that the rain is letting up. Good, I might just stand a chance of doing a bit of sight-seeing before the sun goes down.
One thing that I do absolutely love about Brussels and actually Europe in general, is the architecture. The views are absolutely outstanding!

No comments: