Monday, January 30, 2012

My Fire Pit Buddy!

OK, since I don't have a grill down here I've had to revert back to my camping skills (Thanks to my Dad and the Boy Scouts I've had expert training!). So whenever I need to cook something outside, you know like ribs or chicken (other than fried), steaks, etc. I need to improvise.

So I've noticed that I've got a buddy that likes to hang out with me when I cook outdoors. Not once, not twice, but this is the third such encounter with this dude. He's actually pretty cool about it all. He's always stealthy too, because I'm hauling brush, branches, and logs to the fire pit and all of a sudden there he is just popping in to say: "Hey man, what's up?".

I think he's some type of "Fence Lizard" although he doesn't match up exactly with the descriptions and pictures in the books that I have, and he doesn't stick around long enough for me to turn him over to see if he has a blue throat (I was lucky to snap this shot before he bolted to the nearest tree, he's really camera shy)

You may need to click on the pic to see him, but trust me he's there! ;-)











Oh I may have forgotten to let you know what I did today! I've got a few trees that died this past year and I need to clear them so they don't fall during a storm and hit the deck, house, car, etc. So I was playing "Lumber Jack" again today. Thank goodness the chainsaw is back up and running and I made pretty easy work of the trees (only the ones that I needed to clear!) The one thing that was a bit unsettling was this dang HUGE wood spider that decided to crawl up and stand on the toe of my boot, while my hands were full loading wood into the truck!

This thing (no lie) was as big as my hand, and I swear it could have been a tarantula except that it didn't have enough hair! He/she, merely climbed up on the toe of my boot and stopped, as if to say (Again): "Hey Man, what's up?". So when I flinched (Oh and I did flinch!) He/She calmly stepped off my boot toe, gave me about a 2-inch personal space, and just waited for me to go on about my business of cutting and hauling wood! It was clear to me who's forest this was,no matter who's name is on the deed! ;-)

2 comments:

R.Powers said...

Just call lightning when those spiders show up.

Thunder said...

Oh yeah, she'd like that! ;-)
I wish I woulld have had my camera to get a picture of this one, it was solid chocolate brown and looked something in between a wolf spider and a tarantula!