Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bonfires and Rain

Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day, sunny and mid 70's(F), so after we got the morning's task completed I got out for a short ride. After that I decided to build a nice bonfire for us to enjoy as the sun started to settle off in the horizon. Well OK as the sun set behind the forest, since we can't really see the horizon from here! ;-)

So for those less talented at starting fires than I am, here is the easy 4-step method that I use:


1) Kindling - It's important to use small very dry twigs, branches, leaves, paper, cardboard, etc. as your base









2) Build a Tepee type structure with the medium to large sized branches, leaving plenty of room for air to flow in to keep feed the fire from the kindling.






3) Light the kindling using a long handled lighter, same as for lighting grills.










4) Kick back and enjoy!














Today we finally got some much needed rain. The temperature was still nice, in the mid 60's(F), and I thought I'd grab a couple of pictures. The Forrest takes on a little bit of a different look when it's raining, but it's beautiful just the same.



















While I'm writing this the rain is easing up and clearing off, so we should have another star filled sky tomight. Tomorrow looks to be dry, sunny and mid 70's(F) again. We'll see what that brings!

5 comments:

R.Powers said...

The dark skies out here are awesome for stars aren't they?

Pablo said...

My son is vain about the one-match fires he makes. No butane lighters for him. No sir!

I'm not thus afflicted.

Thunder said...

FC - Yessir they are truly awesome!

Pablo - I can do the 1 match thing too, but hey technology can be a good thing! ;-)

Netter XoX said...

get me some marshmellows boyfriend. I am on my way!!!!!!!
oh girlfriend, get our chocolate :)

Thunder said...

Netter - Will do!