Wednesday, July 07, 2010

My Source(s) on The Gulf Oil Crisis

Some of you may already be aware, but Lightnin has been deployed to the Gulf of Mexico to do what she can to help keep the workers performing the clean-up efforts safe from harmful exposure!

I'm proud of this for several reasons the most compelling is because she is able to at least do something to help!
I don't think I can remember a time when I have felt so frustrated at the fact that I do not have the ability or opportunity "Do" anything about a situation that will likely directly affect me in the long run. So it feels good to know that at least Lighnin has been given the opportunity to "Do" something!

I also wanted to share some photos of oil that washed up on the shores of Fort Pickens Beach, near Pensacola Beach. (These photos were provided by another source who will remain anonymous at least for now)

The pen as a reference hlps to determine the size of the globs found, I'd estimate this one to be about the size of a human hand
This bottle demonstrates how the crude will coat and adhere to just about any surface
















I'm afraid that these are merely small signs of what is to come for the Gulf Coast!

With my sources spread out: Lightnin in Louisiana, Anonymous on Pensacola Beach, and my good friend FC covering the waters around Cedar Key, I should be able to keep you all posted on what's happening where over the next few weeks.

3 comments:

Island Rider said...

My son works at Fort Pickens and Perdido Key for the NPS. Tell your source to ask for Robert and tell him his Mama sez hello and that they met on the Internet. (he thinks I should be declared loco for all my blog friends I make.)

R.Powers said...

Good stuff. Looking forward to more news from your correspondents.

Thunder said...

Island Rider - Nice to meet you! I'll do that; I'd be willing to bet that they already know each other. ;-)

FC - You bet, and you keep me posted on what's happening down there!