Tuesday, February 10, 2009

One More Trip to The Wall



Just getting back into the routine and thought I'd post a few more pictures from the visit with our friends. While they were here we managed to get to the Great Wall at Mutianyu. This is my 4th trip to the wall, the other three were all at Simatai, but this was my first time to Mutianyu.



From there we headed to the Jade Market and then on to the Ming Tombs.

This was one of the main buildings on the grounds of the Ming Tombs. I tried to use our friends to show the scale of the enormous building. The columns and beams are made out of trees that were brought from the forests in Sichuan province which is a couple of hours plane ride from here. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to have moved them that far by floating them upstream to get them to this area!

I'm glad I was able to share the experience with good friends!


Two updates: 1) As of today I now have 29days and a wake-up before returning home and 2) I finally hit my weight loss goal and am now down to 85kg for a grand total loss of (drum roll please!) 20kg!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Now that's walking on history, and really, where else can you even walk on a wall --- other than balancing on garden variety ones in our neighborhoods?

Thunder said...

RVS - Thanks for stopping by! It's been an incredible journey, one that we'll never forget! History and culture have been the big learnings for me over this past year! Well ok, the food's been pretty good too! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great pics and from the stories I heard on the ride home from the air port the Westsiders had a great time. smokin

R.Powers said...

Good job on the loss!!

Anonymous said...

It is true speaking for myself I had a great time in the jing. You and your bride were most graysish host. THANK YOU!! S T E B

Thunder said...

Smokin - Glad we can help keep you entertained! ;-)

FC - Thanks, the hard part will be keeping it off when we get back!

STEB - It was an absolute blast having you guys over here! See you in a few weeks!

Rodney Surber said...

thats what i call a gaint wood

Thunder said...

Rat Man - Too funny, how's it going?

Rodney Surber said...

Things are great see your coming home soon.Got a beer for you to try ..I have 30 laying hens now iv been making egg noodles you two will have to try them out as well..