Friday, December 21, 2007

Last night in Beijing (or is that my last morning?)

Going against my better judgement (and you all know her name) I decided to post my thoughts on my last night here in Beijing!

Well I didn't get out of work quite as early as I had hoped, and it is an hour drive back to my hotel (on a good day), so I took what little photos I could while the sun was still up (oh that would be a total of one).
I'll also say that it's nice to know that us Midwesterner's aren't the only one's that use time as a measure of distance when giving directions, it's just that we're a bit more up front with reality. For example when asked how far it is from KC to St. Louis most people will reply: "4 t0 5 hours", not 300 miles. It's not so different here in the PRoC except for the fact that they sugar-coat it just a little. When asked a similar question: "How long does it take to get to the market from here?" You usually get a response like: "10 minutes, without traffic." Which translates to: "Good luck making it there before they close!
I'm trying to figure out just when there's "no traffic"! (You'll see what I mean if you check out the second photo)



Like I said , I did manage to get out in the "sunlight" before the day was over (Believe me, this the sky was brilliant, but I was in a moving vehicle and had the "motion" setting on the camera to try to catch a clear shot),











This is another view from my hotel at around 8:00PM. I think this is what they consider "Without Traffic"! (just count the
red and white dots in the center of the photo and divide by four to get the number of cars on the road) I'm thinking it's close to 10Million! (by the way I was a bit off in my facts the other day. I found out there's over 21 Million people in this city, not the mere 17-18 Million I mentioned the other day). ;-)


I decided to stay close to the hotel this evening because I was tired and I knew I needed to get up early to catch my flight back home so believe it or not I decided to do the touristy thing. Yep, I finally broke down and went to the "Hard Rock Cafe". Hey I've been to countless cities that housed this establishment and have never given it a thought, but I figured if this city took the trouble to string up Christmas lights and play Christmas music this entire week, I might as well give in too!


The neon guitar was cool, but I thought the sign above the door was pretty good! ( See Below; by the way the prices were good and the staff was courteous, and yet engaging).



















By the way, the guards quietly stepped off to the side to avoid being part of this photo (I'm thinking that was a showing of improved tolerance on their part and I did not want to upset them in the least!).






Well only a couple of hours to go and I'll be on a plane back to "The States"!
See you soon Lightnin'!

4 comments:

R.Powers said...

Well, I did some serious scrolling catching up.
Sounds like Chiney is just as frozen as Ohio.
They couldn't send you to someplace warm?

Hope your flights home went well!

Thunder said...

FC - I keep trying to convince them that we need a technical center in the Bahamas, but they just don't seem to agree!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, what a trip Brussels, and Beijing... that's about as much variety as it gets! Looks like a really interesting time!! Dave L.

Thunder said...

Hey Davie - Good to hear from you! I guess we'lll see you tomorrow sometime!