Friday, December 14, 2007

Bonjour from Bruxelles (day 2)

Last night I was invited to a dinner that my host was throwing for all of his friends that went through the MBA program together. It was a fantastic mix of cultures, conversation, food, and drink! I was dropped off at my hotel about 4 hours before the dinner was to start, so I had time to take a shower and then walk around the town a bit to take in some of the festive atmosphere.

They had set up a Christmas Village just off of the Grande Platz and it was awesome! Here's a few photos that I'll share:



I'm not sure what the dragon had to do with Christmas, but this thing was huge. It was about 1 story tall and close to an entire city block long (although I was informed that they do not measure distance here by blocks, which is understandable because that distance can range greatly from street to street). It was animated so that it appeared to be breathing, and would roar with each exhale!


This is the Christmas Village. I tried to get a couple of shots showing the lights, the crowds, and the huge well lighted ferris wheel in the distance.








This is one of Lightnin's favorite establishments! It was well lit for the holiday's too.








This is my host, Sergio. I can only get an action photo of him because, well if you ever meet him you'll understand!








His place is a 3000sqft split level loft, and the photos do not do the place justice. You have to take an elevator which opens directly into his great room so that everyone gets to make a dramatic entrance. What a fun evening!








Tonight we will be meeting more of the project folks, and hopefully my good friend Henry, around the Grande Platz. Maybe I can talk them into stopping at "Leroy's" for a quick beer (sort of a tradition of mine whenever I'm over here).
You need to understand that we put in long, stressful, high energy days, but as they say: "Work hard, play harder!"




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I was able to get on today! Whew....who knows? Love you and the pics were great. Talk to you tonight.
Lightnin

Anonymous said...

sounds like you are having a lot more fun than we are. and that's just wrong! jaf

Anonymous said...

you look to be having a great time. so i know you are working just as hard. is's all white back here in cincinnati and cold.talk to you when get back steb

Thunder said...

Lightnin - I was finally able to get on to blogger this morning (well evening for you). I love you too and wish you could be here!

JaF - I hear ya, if blogger will let me I'll try to post the rest of my Bruxelles photos and then some from Beijing.

STEB - Yeah man fast paced during the day acting on ideas and then late nights, which is where all the ideas come from
discussion "Zume pot und pint" (between pints) as the Dutch say!