Thursday, June 29, 2006

Life in the Fast Lane (Not!)

Since I was finally able to upload some photos, I decided to post again. I know I've already bored you with the reunion, and as I said earlier I had departed Ohio in the wee hours of the morning heading for my home town of KC. However I left out a few details. Well, here's the rest of the story:

I left home with the anticipation of a fun filled, relaxing drive, with the top down. That almost happened! About five miles from home I encountered my first sure sign of summer, Orange Barrels! Yep, a detour before the engine had even warmed up! It didn't take long though and I was back up and running at the limit. It was a nice day, the sun was up and the temperature was warm. I was able to cruise with the top down for about 6 hrs, before the clouds had built to a point where I decided it was time to put the top up. I was just outside St. Louis and figured I was at about the 1/2 way point. How wrong can you get?!

St. Louis Sucks! (Sorry Pablo) OK, maybe not the people, or even the city, but the traffic certainly does. I hit construction that detours me onto another road that is under construction, that detours me to a third road, that eventually puts me back onto the first road. By eventually, I mean 2 hours later, and I'm finally on the other side of St. louis!

I had mentioned that I hit a storm. This happened about 2 hours later. Here's a photo that I snapped just before I had to pull over and sit it out!

I eventually did make my destination, 14hrs later, and step out of the car glad to have made it.






My folks live on about 7.5-8 acres, and their neighbor is a turf farmer. It's sort of like living on a golf course, but without the golf balls coming into your yard, or through your windows. Here's a couple of photos so that you can get a feel for the surroundings:















It's peacful and quiet, although every now and then you get these sustained winds of 30-40mph and you're forced to seek the sheltor of the indoors. While hanging out one morning I was able to snap this shot of a humming bird:















For those of you who have kids, you may remember them bringing home a little seedling on Earthday that you are requested to plant. Well at the time our son brought one home, we were living in an apartment and didn't have anywhere to plant it. So, we kept it alive until we could take it to his Grandparents house where we could put it in the ground. Well surprise, it survived! Check out the pine tree in the distance.


Actually it's not much of a surprise! My parents, being the super Grandparents that they are (they were pretty darn good parents too!), protected and nurtured that tree as if it were their Grandson himself.







Speaking of Grandson's, that's one of the main reasons I made this trip! Oh sure, there was the reunion, visiting my parents, visiting friends, and the road trip itself, but come on I've got to be honest I love my grandson!



Little Thunder: "Nice ride Grampa, where we headed?"










I'm pretty much done with the first half of my road trip. I start my trek back home on Saturday morning. I'll be stopping a couple of time along the way, to visit friends and family, and to break up the trip into a couple of shorter drives. If anything interesting happens on the way back home, I'll be sure to let you know (and I'll try to get a photo!).

Just one final note: Today is my birthday, and beleive it our not eventhough I'm out of town on vacation, I have to call in on a phone conference in a few minutes. Oh well, it pays the bills, and funds most of the trips that get the nice photos for most of my posts!

Oh, since it is my birthday take a guess at how old I am!
Here's some clues: I just attended my 30th high school reunion, but I was actually slightly younger than my classmates. I remember watching the first man in space, and going from black and white (actually more like green and white) to color tv.
Good luck and have fun!

7 comments:

R.Powers said...

47. Happy birthday!

How are you posting more than 3 shots in a post? Not using Picasa or what?

Lightnin said...

Oh oh oh oh Mr. Kotter.....Pick me! (by the way that was my best Horshack impression, ya like it?) I know exactly how old you are and FC is WRONG!!! Of course I'm just a little older but I obviously remember "Welcome Back Kotter" Happy Birthday Honey!

Thunder said...

FC,

I'm flattered! You're close but no cigar. Oh and this is a good one: When driving back to my Mom and Dad's the other day we saw a Scissor Tailed Fly Catcher, but of course I didn't have my camera with me! Dang, I still owe your Mom!!!

LIghtnin - That's a good one, but you of course don't get to guess. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that St. Louis road construction! I was there two weekends ago and it was a mess.

R.Powers said...

Okay, now I have my 30th this year too and I am 48, you are a little younger than your classmates you said...I don't care what your parents told you, you are 47.
I have spoken.

Thunder said...

Pablo, nice to hear from you! I had a blast back home, and couldn't believe how much it has grown! I went back on the interstate and didn't have too bad of a passage through St. Louis this time.

FC, I figured that would throw you off. I'm 48, but I didn't turn until summer. Everyone else was driving before I was too, but it paid off, I look the youngest in all the photos! ;-)

R.Powers said...

Thunder,
Did you see the Sam Adams best home brewer contest? You're a natural! Check it out.