Friday, May 26, 2006

When in Rome, or Frankfurt that is!


Here we are enjoying a Frankfurter mit kartofel salad (Hot dog with potato salad). We're sitting in the old town square of Frankfurt. It was a little chilly and breezy, but it was worth the effort. I'm pretty sure I mentioned in an earlier post that Frankfurt is the center of commerce for Deutschland (Germany), but it is also that for Europe. The shopping district is the richest area in Europe too. It is not unusual at all to see a Lamborghini, then a Bentley, then a Ferrari as you walk down the street!



While walking past the statue of Kaiser Karl der Grosse (Carl the Great), I noticed a sign that said that the neighboring pub was serving Eisbock vom faß (Ice Bock on tap). So naturally I insisted that we stop by and take advantage of the opportunity that we had been given. An Ice Bock is a true ice beer, not like Bud Ice that you may or may not have tried before. It's dark and sweet, and probably around 7.5-8.5%. Wonderful on a cool breezy day, especially if you're just riding the train, and not driving!



Ok, side note: We really did a lot more than just eat and drink, but it seemed that that was the only time I could get everyone to stand still long enough to get a picture, so that's the photos I have to work with here!

Gratis drinking phot here. We are in McDonalds, having a McBeer! It's actually Bitburger, which is a nice German Pilsner.






This is a photo of Eier Likor (Egg Liqour), or as Lightnin calls it: Edgar Likor. All I know is that it is one of the best dessert drinks ever invented. Our host, Edgar expertly prepared this for us. The best that I can describe it is that it is the best eggnog I have ever tasted, but much better and completely different.

Sorry about that explaination, but if you're truly interested I do have the recipe.


Well, that about does it for now. I'll try to get another post out today still.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me hungry, so I went out to the farm and dug up some om my own new kartofel. They were about the size of a golf ball. Will share them with Mike, Erin and Easton tomorrow. Looks like you are all enjoying your visit in Germany. Wish I was there with you. Have fun the rest of your visit there.

R.Powers said...

You aren't fooling anybody. I KNOW your hand wasn't empty for more than it takes to find a new spot and a new brew!

Huge Katie graduation party here tomorrow nite, 40 pounds of wings, hotdogs, bbq pork, etc. We'll think of you two.

Thunder said...

GGL,
thanks for the pics, wish we could have been there! Hey thanks for your photos of Rothenburg! It was pretty cool to see that you found some of the same sites photo worthy!

FC,
Thanks for thinking of us. I know it's late, but tell Katie Congratulations from us!