Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Rothenburg, Deutschland (pronounced: wrote-n-burg)

This ia Rothenburg, Germany. I'm not sure if you can see too clearly in the first picture, but the wall actually still surrounds the entire town. This town has buildings that stretch back to the 1200's. It's special because it is one of the few towns that came through WWII without a scratch! It was a beautiful day and I'm glad we took advantage of it to come here.

It was about an hour and a half drive into Bavaria, from Hanau (which I think was sort of southeast). Hanau is a suburb of Frankfürt, which is Hessian, Bavaria is the neighboring Stadt, or as we would call it a state.


This is one of the clock towers, you see this one as you enter the city. The other photo is of the clock tower that is next to the old town hall. If you look close you'll see that there are three clocks on this tower. The top clock is a sun dial, the middle clock is a 24-hour, and the bottom one is a 12-hour clock. Pretty cool! This way you know that anyone has a good chance at telling what time it is!


















And of course we couldn't visit the city without sampling a brew. The Schwartzbier (black beer) was awesome! I'm running out of power so I'll need to say wieder sehen (see you later) for now! Pros't!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But do all three clocks agree on what time it is?

Anonymous said...

tpysfvvGreat place !!!!Rothenberg looks like it did in 1992 when I was there.

Thunder said...

Pablo,
Thanks for tagging along on our trip!
My access to cyberland has been hit and miss, but I've posted when I can.

The lower two clocks are keeping pretty good time, but I'm afraid that time has stopped for those folks that rely on the sun dial. ;-)