Thursday, January 12, 2006

Oh, you didn't think I'd forget to write about the beer did you?

Although France is more famous for wine than beer, you can find several choices from surrounding countries.

The one French beer that I have tried is 1664. It's a pilsner style beer, light, clean and refreshing.

Of course I already mentioned the Irish pub in a couple of previous posts, where I sampled Beamish Stout and Beamish Red, both very nice especially under nitrogen rather than CO2. The Stout is full flavored, surprisingly light in body, and actully refreshing (if you can find it on tap or in a Nitrogen widget can, try it. I like it better than Guiness.). The Red is a bit sweeter, heavier, and in my opinion is an example of what an Irish Red Ale should be!

Carlsburg Brewing has two entries here: Carlsburg and the infamous Elephant Malt. On tap these are both much better than in the bottle, I would bet you can find the bottled version somewhere near you almost anywhere in the US.

My favorite of course are the Belgian Ales. Three of these seem to be prevalent here (not to worry though I'll be in Brussels next week!). Blanche de Brug (pronounced: brooge), Leffe Blonde, and Grimbergen. Blanche de Brug is is your classic Belgian Wit (Wheat or White) with the mild flavor and aroma of citrous and corriander (You may be familiar with Hoegarden, which just happens to be Lightnin's favorite. Speaking of which I have to give a shout out to my Homegirl! Enjoy tooling around in the ragtop, I get to meet up with "G-nerve" tomorrow!). Leffe Blonde has a sweet taste and smooth body. Grimbergen is an Abby Ale, strong, full, smooth, and slightly sweet.

Well, I'm just waiting for my host to come get me so that we can leave work to head to the bar to have a beer while we decide where we are going to eat (you can see the rest of the nightly routine on my previous post). Even though it may take some decision making and dicussion to determine the restaurant, the beer choices have become pretty clear: He will have his usual Leffe, and I my Grimbergen.

Cheers, Prosit, Salud, or Strochen! A parting toast to Amiens!

No comments: