Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Just Wondering Around Amiens

I needed to get out and stretch my legs, so I took my camera along with me. There’s a canal that goes through the town that is lined with shops and restaurants, so I thought I’d snap a few photos for you to see.

You can see the Cathedral Notre Dame de Amiens in the background of this one, which also helps to give scale to the structure.











The canal lined with shops, restaurants, and homes. I bet it is hopping during the warmer months.











Aunt Jeanne’s restaurant grabbed my eye.













On the way back to my hotel I spotted this and just felt the need to snap the photo.












That concludes the tour for today, and I’m sure you are all concerned as to whether I’ve managed to hydrate myself after walking around the city snapping all these photos. Not to worry, there’s an Irish pub strategically placed right on the corner at the end of the street that my hotel is located. So I popped in to sample a Beamish Stout. I mentioned in my post the other day that I had sampled Irish Ales along with the other local varieties, yep, that was in the Tower Pub. I was able to strike up a conversation with the bartender, well ok not exactly a conversation; however we did manage to communicate with each other with some effort on both our parts. It turns out, as fate would have it, that the other night that I wondered into the pub just happened to be the grand opening of the place. I guess they don’t hang balloons or streamers to make as big of a fuss over those sorts of things like we do at home. At any rate, the beers were good, the food was wonderful, and the service was excellent! Just for the record the menu consisted of French cuisine, not your typical Irish pub fare, however it went very well with the Irish Ales.

2 comments:

R.Powers said...

So, what has been the best Food Francais so far?

Thunder said...

FC-Wow, that's a tough one! But let me see if I can work through this:
I braved the threat of Mad-Cow and tried the Carpaccio (actually that's Spannish origin), but I must admit it was better in Brussels lat time I was there. I've had four different types of fish, each prepaired in a different way.

So I would have to say the Fish was my favorite!

Ha, gotcha on that one!

Seriously though I had a fantastic "white fish" (don't know, and don't care)that was served with a sauce that was somewhere between Holandaise and Bournaise.
At a different place I had a traditional appetizer that was a thin slice of whole grain bread with a thin slice of Jambone (ham), and a local cheese melted on top (I have no idea what it was called). This was served with some type of local greens with EVOO (That's for Lightnin) and fresh squeezed lemon juice. It was absolutely Tres Bon! (spoken with sort of a growl on the r)