Monday, July 13, 2009

The Indiana Brewers Cup

This past weekend I had the privilege of being a judge in the prestigious Indiana Brewers Cup beer competition. Its the contest for the Indiana state fair and its open to both home brewers and professional breweries!
When I signed in at the registration desk on Friday evening I find that I'm assigned to judge Belgian Strong Ales; "Awesome" I say to myself, or at least I think I did! We had 10 beers in our round and most of them were good, but one stood out above the rest. It was a Belgian Strong Golden Ale and was as close to Duvel as you can get without being there! ;-)

I asked the photographer if he minded taking a few "action" shots while we were judging and he agreed. The following is the pictorial representation of the beer judging process:

Pouring the beer

Smelling the beer

Looking at the beer

Scoring and writing down notes

Tasting the beer

More scoring and notes


That pretty much sums it up. Yep it's a tough job, but somebodies got to do it! ;-)


We had to drive through a thunderstorm the entire way home, and at one point I thought I saw Dorothy and Toto fly by, oh sorry we're not in Kansas anymore!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

u look so serious.. i think i couldnt stop smiling if they gave me that job....sweeeeeeet

RBP

P.S. I hope Dude will post pictures of our strong beer-filled nights friday and saturday

Thunder said...

RBP - i had my game face on for the judging, but we had fun when it was over!