Friday, September 05, 2008

Chinese Passion Fruit

FC's passion for the fruit inspired me to show what is called passion fruit on this side of the earth. It looks quite a bit different in my opinion, but it does share some of the same characteristics by being a bit bland while just a little sweet. It does have a very sweet aroma though something sort of like honeysuckle + cotton candy!
Here's a couple of photos so you can see our version:




























And yes that's a US dime I used for scale, I found one in my drawer just the other day and set it out so that I could use it if the need ever arose. I guess this was the time! ;-)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thunder-
For another reference photo you can go back to my birthday dinner on the beach and see the passion fruit opened up like a flower! That was so much fun!
Lightnin

Anonymous said...

Thunder I see it takes Lightin to say something to get you blogging again. Thanks Lightin I enjoy seeing his new pictures and the stories that go along with them. smokin

R.Powers said...

Sounds really sweet.

Thunder said...

Lightnin- Yep i could have used that one, but I've never received copies of them from you! It was a fun time in KT even though I sweated my ass off in the plant every day while you lounged on the beach! ;-)

Thunder said...

Smokin - Well what can I say sometimes us husbands need a little nudge to get us in the right direction! Thanks for the compliment too! ;-)

FC - It actually smells sweeter than it tates, I think these and yours may have that in common.

Anonymous said...

That looks like something they had on our fruit plate for breakfast every morning at the German Hotel. We have a weed here that has something exactly like that. Also I saw something at the Grocery like that called Australien gooseberry. jaf

Anonymous said...

or was it New Zealand gooseberry? jaf

Rodney Surber said...

it looks like as if it has a shell like a tomatillo .I thought of you the other day i was infusing ingredients making BBQ sauce.One my secret ingredients you gave me hehehe. Hey i herd that you can get chicken wing flavored ice cream there as well as Ox tongue try those out and let me know witch one is the best tasting .ok

Thunder said...

JaF - That verywell could be the real name for it, but they refer to it as passion fruit here.

Rod - I think I'll pass on the meat flavored ice creams! Although if I do a tally here's what I've sampled on the menu so far: scorpions, silkworm larvae, cicada, horse, camel, and something that I have no idea! ;-)