Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Olympics Have Passed (Thank Goodness!) My Parting Thoughts

Although the Olympics have passed, the Para-Olympics are now in progress. As a result the crowds have thinned a bit, but not completely. Yesterday I asked one of my coworkers, a true Beijinger, if it was wrong of me to ask: "When are all of these foreigners going to leave so we can get back to normal?" He merely laughed and said"Yes!" Seriously though it has been a pain. Traffic has been redirected, taxi's are easy to come by, the subway is even more crowded, I'm required to carry all of my official paperwork wit me where ever I go, and the prices of everything including groceries has almost doubled (my per Diem however has stayed the same)!

We were able to witness the motorcade of one of the visiting countries officials which demonstrates the disruption that has been taking place. Keep in mind that 204 countries were represented, so that's quite a few disruptions that take place over the course of a few weeks:






Notice the stopped traffic



























The lead car passes































The payload























Hey wait a minute, how did this guy get in there?

























Traffic resumes! It really only took about 2 minutes for the whole thing to pass, but repeat that about 200 times a day across the city and see what it does for your daily commute!














Also here's the real reason to watch Sand Volleyball:





















Honestly I feel very fortunate and also very lucky to have been living in the host city during the Olympic Games! It was a unique opportunity to observe and meet people from all over the world, and to experience the ultimate in sports competition!












12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice lil Hula girls you got over there!Everything good has to come to an end...

RBP

Thunder said...

RBP - Well not everything, Hey I'm still here! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thunder-
Nice pics...I mis it and you! Also still waiting for SPC Dude to post the Schlo-Mo video! Too funny!
Lightnin

Thunder said...

Lightnin - I'm waiting for that too! See you in September!

Anonymous said...

I bet you are ready for things to get back to "Beijing" normal. But, like you said "What an Experience!" It was some thing to see, even here on the boob tube. Have a safe flight back.
At you later,

Bro J

Anonymous said...

Thunder nice pic always enjoy your pics and the storys behind them so I guess I have to thank steb for hooking me up to them. smokin

R.Powers said...

Glad normality is returning, but you certainly had a good time.

Thunder said...

Bro J - The experience of a lifetime!

Smokin - Thanks I'm glad you enjoy the pics and the wit!

FC - "Normal" is good! It really has been a blast!

Anonymous said...

what will you ever do in a back woods little town in florida. where the car will go fast and the time slow. enjoy hirem. S T E B

Thunder said...

STEB - I think I'll be ready for a much slower pace once I get home from here!

Carina said...

the traffic in China is really a big problem!

I creat a blog for me!But I still don't know how to use it well!!

Thunder said...

Carina - Good to hear from you. I'll add your blog to my list and check it out!