Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Olympic Fever!

IIII'mm baaack!

After a brief struggle with my Internet connection I'm finally able to get back on!
Ok, ok so I also took some time off to travel to Malaysia and visit with Lightnin and SPC Dude while they were here, but I'm back none the less!
























This past couple of weeks I've been lucky enough to view several of the Olympic venues! Lightnin, SPC Dude, and I were able to catch the Beach Volleyball competition and see the China Women's team kick some butt against Switzerland.





















































What's wrong with this picture?















Then the following day Dude and I scored some free tickets to boxing, unfortunately we had to say good bye to Lightnin as she headed back to the US so she wasn't able to join us. We were troopers though and managed to enjoy the boxing anyway. ;-)








The next night SPC Dude and I were able to see the China women win against Greece with my friend from the Netherlands (Mischa), but this was a much closer match up and very exciting. The heavens let loose on us right at the end of that match and we were soaked to the bone. It didn't drown our spirits though as we headed for the beer tent and sat it out. There we met some local college students who were able to come to the games and we had some great conversation and made some new friends! "One World One Dream" was definitely the spirit we had!



Sunday night I was able to attend the Athletics (Track and Field) venue at the "Birds Nest". This was awesome because as many of you know I was a runner in high school and college. I ran the 5k, 10k, and the 3,000m steeple chase, among other things. I was able to witness a new world record in the women's 3,000m steeple chase and an Olympics record in the men's 10k. I think the only thing that could have been better is if it had been me that had set a record, but as my dad told me it was probably a lot more fun being at the Olympics as a spectator! These are truly time I will never forget!















Well, that's about all I've got at this time. it's getting late and I have to work again tomorrow.
I'll try to get some more stuff out there in the next few days!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thunder-
I know what was wrong....97 degrees and 85% humidity! That was just WRONG!!!
Lightnin

Anonymous said...

Glad you all had a good time, I bet all of it was something to see.

Bro J

R.Powers said...

97 degrees and 85% humidity ... what's weird about that?
LOL!
Sounds like a great time!

Anonymous said...

The picture of the stadium at night is awsom and you all loke like you were having a good time. Thunder did you forget your volleyball shirt it looks like lightnin and dude had theirs. Maybe next time you will fit in. Nice to hear from you again. smokin

Thunder said...

Aw come on! Nobaody wants to play "what's wrong with this picture?"

OK I'll give you a hint: There are at least 4 things that are out of place in the picture of the three of us. Try ot guess what they are!

Anonymous said...

great blog 1ts:green side up thunder 2nd sun glasses and binocklers 3rd your in white and there in black olympic shirts 4th i got nothen S T E B

Anonymous said...

I TELL U WHATS WRONG IN THAT PIC... I AM MISSING!!!!LOL
My fam and me, we are huge volleyball-players and fans.
But its so great to see you guys together..!!!!
Dude already showed me the files with pics from the wall and the night out ( the old man singing and the ladys smile shining like uranium).AMAZING PICTURES. I bet you cant wait til Nov when the entire crew will be visiting.
You guys are one awesome family! Congrats on the work you did.

RBP

Thunder said...

STEB - You got one of them right, and you were close on a second!

RBP - Ok so there's at least 5 things wrong with the picture! ;-)

Anonymous said...

well dad i am not sure if they will realize what they all are and if im not mistaken one has to do with mom and the other 3 are with you correct? now lets see if they can figure it out. lol good times good times cant wait to come back.

love you.
spc. dude

Thunder said...

SPC Dude - You're dead on!

Anonymous said...

1. Thunder's ticket is upside down (but that's normal for him!)
2. Dude does not have a beer.
3. Thunder does not have a beer.
4. Lightin does not have a beer.
5. All appear sober.
Can't zoom in on the photo to get a good look! That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Merlyn

Thunder said...

Merlyn - Too funny, but yes the beers were missing in the photo too!

Here's the real answers:
1) my ticket is upside down
2) I'm wearing a track and field hat to watch sand volleyball
3) Lightnin is wearing a regular volleyball shirt, not sand volleyball (subtle I know)
4) I'm wearing a Corona t-shirt and the event is sponsered by Tsing Tao and YangJing Beers (more subtle).

Thunder said...

Oh just for the record I loaded this photo the same as the others, but for some reason it won't enlarge like the others. Honestly I didn't do that on purpose, it just turned out that way!

Carina said...

good pics for the nest of brid!

you turn that tickets ````