Friday, April 28, 2006

"The Tree" What is it? (and a hop update)


Well, here's the infamous tree! It was supposed to be a dogwood, but I don't think that it is. I tried to get a shot of it fullof blooms, but the spring storms beat me to it so all I was able to get was the picture of a few of the flowers that stayed on the tree.

I also got a good shot of the leaves so hopefully that will help too!

Can anyone out there in cyberspace help me identify this tree?















Oh yeah, I almost forgot in the fall it produces little hard brown berry-like fruit. They have never produced any new trees, until this past year, but the yard is full of little seedlings now.



I also wanted to give a hop update. This is what they look like now, only a week and a hlf after the last set of photos. They are awesome plants!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave - just saw your comment on my blog, and thanks to FC to directing you there.

I wonder if it could be hawthorne or, more likely, a crabapple? The timing seems right and the flowers look like some kind of Rose family - Rosaceae - the trees would fit into crabapple or, less likely, hawthorne.

Nice to see your site, too.

R.Powers said...

What Wayne said or maybe one of the flowering pears...like Bradfords??

Cool hops.


wdula = what you exclaim when you see amazing hops.

Anonymous said...

Yes, FC, Bradford pear is a possibility. The smell of the flowers (I'm told - I can't smell) is, well, not unique, but certainly provocative, evocative, or what have you.

Lightnin said...

All-
After consulting with the many scientist here at the Institute we have decided the tree is a Chanticleer Flowering Pear

Thunder said...

Wayne,
Thanks for the evaluation!

FC,
Thanks for sending me Wayne's way!

Lightnin,
Thanks for showing this to the NIOSH Brain Trust!

Special Thanks to DR. Kennedy and Dr. Streicher for coming up with with the identity of the tree.

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Great pictures of the homeland! Did your folks have fun? Christopher looks so mature!