Thursday, April 20, 2006

Manatee Springs Continued

Now that Blogger allowed me to add some more photos, I can continue with the visit to Manatee Springs!

To the left is one of the vultures taking advantage of a nice breeze that was blowing from the spring to the river. One after another they took to the air and soared on the breeze. My expert work with the lens captured this one (yeah right, I think I stood there shooting photos for about 20 minutes before I finally timed it right to get a decent shot like this)!




This one was just sitting there waiting for his photo op, and I obliged! I think you can see how they got the name of Black Vulture.

The Turkey Vultures I mentioned in the first post have less feathers on their heads and their skin is a reddish color.







The reptiles were out for viewing too. I think this is a banded water snake, but I'm not going to get any closer to find out!











I thought this looked like something out of either a John Carpenter or Stephen King movie. It's just evidence of the swamp reclaiming her own!






I hope that you've enjoyed the photo tour!
We had a great time and I really enjoyed re-energizing an old friendship! Like Buffet says: "The years grow shorter not longer", so it won't be long and we'll be down there for good!

9 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

The Turkey Vulture looks like he got a hoodie on with the sleeves ripped out.

R.Powers said...

ThunderD,
I'm gonna tell swampy to check out this post. Great pics.

swamp4me said...

Great pictures! I especially like the one of the black vulture.

Your snake looks more like a brown water snake (Nerodia taxispilota) than a banded to me, but I am not that familiar with what's out and about in Manatee Springs :) But, no matter the species, it's a great snake picture.

Thunder said...

Peppylady,
It does kind of doesn't it!

Thanks for stopping by and checking out the blog!

Thunder said...

FC,
Thanks for the plug! I'll let you know when I post about the tree. Like I said I'll wait until I get a good shot of the leaves too.

Swamp,
I'm really not sure what it is, but I wanted to throw something out there for conversation. ;-)
Thanks for stopping by!

Rurality said...

Wow that is one fat snake. Great close-up on the vulture!

R.Powers said...

Seeeee, if you post...they will come!

doubleknot said...

Came to your blog by way of Pure Florida. Absolutely great pictures. I am so glad you like Florida - kind of fond of it myself. I don't have to go home to 4" of snow - burrr.

Thunder said...

Rurality,
Thanks! I use a digital with all the automatic settings. It makes it easy!

Doubleknot,
I spent about two years at school in Pensacola and have never gotten it out of my system! That thing about the sand in your shoes is true!