Sunday, October 16, 2005

Fall in Ohio


Aaah fall in Ohio! Well that's what's happening this weekend. Yep, I said this weekend. Fall is the time of year when we go from airconditioning on Friday to furnace on Sunday! Friday it was sunny and 75F, today it is sunny and 65F, tomorrow is supposed to be partly sunny and 50F for the high. The low tomorrow morning is supposed to be 38F.

We've found that Cincinnati does have four seasons, it's just that if you blink you miss two of them, Spring and Fall. We have Summer, Almost Winter, Winter, and Almost Summer. Summer can last as long as 4 months, or as short as two. Winter usually lasts at least 6 months but has gone 8 before. Almost Summer and Almost Winter usually last less than a month each, and like this year have been known to last a mere weekend. My one, or I guess I should say two saving graces are my fireplaces (one traditional and the other a deck-top or patio fireplace). If not for that I don't think I could make it through the winter.

Yes I'm whining a bit, but you see I lived in Florida for just long enough to get used to the wonderful weather (about 2 years). I definitely have sand in my shoes and will never get it out. My winter depression was so bad at one time that my wife wouldn't let me leave the house by myself with a full tank of gas because I'd be on I-75 headed south faster than you can say "Pina Colada". So now we have not one but two fireplaces. Yes, my wife obviuosly knows enough about psychology to substitute one instinct with another, the the need to migrate south with the basic male interest in fire.

Well, I've split the wood and we're going to sit out on the deck and enjoy a nice fire while welcoming the coming of Winter. It won't be long before we'll have to retreat to the livingroom and burn the fire in there!

Coming soon: Grandparenting, the best gig in the world!

1 comment:

R.Powers said...

I am not ready for my college mate to be a grandparent. There's no way we can be that old...

Hey it was 66 here today. You sure you're up north?