Friday, December 02, 2011

The End is Near!

No this isn't a forecast for doom, it's just announcing that the end of my current career is near. After 30 years of working in the consumer goods industry I'll be calling it quits in a mere 18 working days.

Looking back it's been interesting, sometimes exciting and amazing, but mostly fun. Yes that's right I said fun. I've "met and usually exceeded expectations" (inside joke), made some amazing discoveries, learned from mistakes, laughed at myself and taught others to laugh with me.

I've been fortunate enough to have moved around within my company and learn many different aspects of the business of research and development and production. I've also been lucky enough to have traveled around the world several times and learned how to be comfortable living out of a suitcase for months at a time (for me it was sort of like very comfortable camping). I've learned how to feel comfortable being a stranger in a strange land, and picked up several languages and many, many friends along the way.

I think I'm ready to get off the plane for awhile and just sort of remember what it's like to "be me"! Not me the scientist, not me the singer, not me the cultural historian, just ME. The me that I set aside 30 some years ago. The impulsive me, the silly me, the sit and stare at the woods for hours at a time me, just ME! The "Hey Lightnin, let's hop on the bike and head to the coast?" me, the do something subtle yet silly to get Lightnin to look up from her book and smile (OK I've been doing that this whole time, but there'll be more of that) me, the take all day to cook some extravagant meal me, the watch the sun rise and hang around to see it set in the same day me, just ME! Yes, I'm definitely ready to get off the plane for awhile, and actually unpack all my bags!


Lightnin and I are about to start a new chapter! I'm looking forward to seeing where this new part of the journey will take us. Of course I know where it will start, on a 6 acre slice of oak and palm tree heaven!


Come along for the ride and see what happens next!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thunder-
All I can say is that you are an amazing man and I am so proud to call you my husband! I too am looking forward to this next chapter of our life/book that has been one helluva ride! I love you so much! I'm counting the days right along with you partner!
LYM

Pablo said...

Congratulations. I'm envious of your achievement -- a few more years for me I think.

Anonymous said...

Arent you two cheesy?lol

You deserve to spend most of your time just simply being HAPPY and ENJOY WHAT YOU DO...cause who knows...it may be the last life as a human being you get ;-P.

We are looking forward to pics from bike-rides, extravagant meals that you cook for a day, eat and we simply look at, and of course wouldnt we wanna miss those pics of Lightnin looking up from her book :-)

Miss you guys, thanks for sharing!

RBP

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say congrets to both of you. I am very happy to have met you guys and for having such good friends. Your next adventure will be great. You to deserve to take the rest of your day's to do what ever your heart desires. Good luck with everything. smokin

Thunder said...

Lightnin - 15 and a half I think now!

Pablo - Thanks and hang in there, but check into it you may not need to wait as long as you think!

RBP - You crack me up! I hear little "Spud" has been dancing around! ;-)

Smokin - Thanks, it's been good getting to know yuo guys too! You know you can follow along with us on here! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thunder. If there are things you guys really want to do, do them now. Just be gentle to the Palm tree.

Thunder said...

Anon - I did decorate it with lights! ;-)