Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Beer Judging (Hey, at least it's not about hops!)

For those of you that don't know, I started judging beer as a novice in 1995 (ok for those of you that do know me, I was unofficially judging them for a long time before that), and have been a licensed judge since 1997. All of the competitions that I judged in the past were amateur competitions, judging home made beer for free. Well this past weekend I joined the ranks of professional judging!

It was at the Indiana State Fair Brewer's Cup competition. I was able to judge commecially brewed beers, rather than homebrew. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy tasting, comparinghome brewed delights, and part of our job is to give pointers on how they can further improve, but this is the big time!

The money wasn't enough to pay for the trip, but it's the principle. Plus the real thrill was to actually be a part of keeping commercial brewing on the right path of preserving real beer styles!

Pros't, Sante, Salud, Strochen, Skol, Cheers! No matter how you say it, enjoy!

No comments: